Sunday, March 21, 2010

Madison Seminary

My blog entries are starting to look like my Journal entries on my mission. Weeks apart, small novel. A lot happened this week.

I don't think I ever mentioned this, but I'm taking a Fundamentals of Teaching Seminary class. Yes, Seminary. That class you loved to skip or sleep through in high school. That wasn't the case for me, however. I had Bro. Toth as a teacher who greatly influenced my spirituality through high school, second only to my parents. Bro. Toth is sincere, funny and presents scriptures to youth in such a way that makes them think, "Ya' know there just might be something to this reading-scriptures-every-day thing." At least that's the effect he had on me.
Weeks ago, my Fundamentals of Teaching Seminary Teacher, Bro. Taylor, asked if anyone wanted some hands-on experience teaching at Madison High School Seminary, I was all over it. As soon as I got the scripture block (Alma 18-20) I prepared like I have never prepared before. I'm serious. I spent a bit of time on my mission farewell talk, on my homecoming talk, a talk I had to give last year on Easter about the Atonement, a Gospel Doctrine lesson on marriage where I focused on the relationship of Joseph and Emma. I've done a bit of preparing in my time. But not like this. You can ask my wife, I agonized over this lesson. I told my family about and got their prayers, Ellie and I fasted on a school day, I prayed and I prayed and I prayed.

And it... was... awesome.

I visited the class I was to teach a few times before the day I taught. I sat in the back and watched Bro. Walker, his teaching style, his rhythm. He's an amazing teacher, by the way. And this good man was willing to hand his class over to me for an entire day. And for fifty minutes (they were on assmebly schedule) I talked with his class, we read scriptures, we applied, we laughed, I played the guitar sang them this dumb song I wrote about Nephi to the tune of "Hey there Delilah", I talked about my mission, I bore my testimony. AND I HAD A BLAST!
After the closing prayer the bell rang, and after I shook everyone's hand on their way out the door, I sat down next to Bro. Taylor (who is also a "pre-service trainer" for CES) and we had a sweet conversation. He let me know I did a good job, and told me the only thing he was frustrated about was the fact that I'm not graduating for another three and a half years.

I haven't pled with the Lord in a while. Sure I've been asking Him things, and for things. But it's been a loooong time since I've pled. And the payoff was an experience that I will never forget... aaaaand if things go right it'll be an experience I'll have every day. I'm not getting my hopes up but... aww heck who am I kidding! My hopes are way up! I'm goin for it!

1 comment: