Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Becoming

“Ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what eis your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away.” James 4:14

I had an epiphony today! A lot of it has to do with this scripture. The first time I had heard this verse was in the MTC, it was the last thing Bro. Jones read to us before we left for two years, two years where I learned my true potential and what life is really about living for! For everything I am today I can thank my parents and my mission, and everything I learned from them. Anyways, before I get even further off topic, I need to get this down, “God doesn't care so much about what you do, but what you become.”
Now, granted, this is not an original idea. Far from it. But you could say, that today I appreciate this principle more than I have in my entire life.

David Bednar said, “The Lord's teachings and teachers were given so that we may all attain 'the measure of the stature of the fulness of the Christ.' It is not even enough to be convinced of the gospel, we must act in such a way that we must be converted by it. In contrast to the institutions of the world that challenge us to know something, the Gospel of Jesus Christ challenges us to become something.”

Stephen Covey said, “Are you ever too busy driving to take time to get gas? Too busy sawing to take time to sharpen the saw? We don't need more time. We have all the time there is. No one has more of it than each of us have.What we need is to put priorities on our goals and activities and to manage ourselves accordingly, instead of allowing conditions to manage us. We always have time and take time for things which are really important to us.”

Confession: Sometimes at night, I'm too tired to read the Book of Mormon with my wife.

I can't say that I'm too busy to get enough sleep every night.
I can't say that I'm too busy during the day to be able to get to bed earlier.
That day, spending a half-hour on facebook or playing Halo or watching House was more important to me than reading the word of God with my eternal companion.

There's nothing harsh about the truth, and I've decided to be honest with myself. We are always taught to be honest with our fellow men, but I think all of us could be benefit with a little more honesty with ourselves! We stress because we don't manage our time properly, we get angry because we haven't managed the time to become a true Disciple of Christ and have the Spirit, we feel empty because we don't fit into our day, the things that make life rich! (“I am come that they might have life, that they might have it more abundantly”! John 10:10) God has given me spiritual gifts, He's given me talents, He's given me this life to become the best I can be. I squander too much of my precious time!
I think my epiphony came when I was driving home from my Percussion Master Class, and thinking about what I was going to do when I got home. And I couldn't decide whether to prepare for my Gospel Doctrine lesson or finish my tenor ensemble or memorizing scripture mastery. It hit me, these are things that I love to do, and these are the things that are going to help me become what God wants me to become! I'm going to work to fill my day with things that will better myself and not simply entertain!

No comments:

Post a Comment