Thursday, January 28, 2010

Annoying

If there's one thing I can't stand, it's people who don't give musicians the credit they deserve. ESPECIALLY when it's coming from someone who is not a musician. Every Tuesday and Thursday, this is my schedule:

8:00 am - Wake up.
9:00 to 10:00 am - Musicianship class.
10:15 to 11:15 am - Music Explorations class.
11:30 to 1:45 pm - Symphony Band practice.
2:00 to 5:00 pm - Percussion ensemble practice.
5:00 to 6:00 pm - Campus Drumline practice.
6:00 to 7:00 pm - Social Dance class.

By the time I walk out of Social Dance, I've been on that freakin' campus for 10 1/2 hours. When do I eat? Well, between the time my Explorations class ends and Symphony Band begins, I'm hauling heavy percussion equipment from the percussion room to the rehearsal room. And then I'm taking down that equipment at 1:45 pm, but I also need to set up equipment for Percussion Ensemble practice in fifteen minutes. So guess what I do? Somewhere in the middle of Symphony Band practice, I excuse myself for a moment to go to the bathroom, I walk out into the hallway, pull a ham sandwich from behind my back and wolf it down in about 45 seconds!

Any Music Major can comprehend the mental and physical toll learning and rehearsing music is. Your brain is dissecting a piece of music's tones, rhythms, harmonies, tempo, phrasing, dynamics, and tambour. And somehow this data has to travel from your brain to your hands instantly. Music Majors can appreciate this, no else can. So the next time you want to criticize an exhausted musician for complaining, don't. You just don't get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment